Monday, August 19, 2013

First Ocean Injury

I had my first ocean injury on Friday.  First we went snorkeling at Anini Beach.  Samantha and I went out together and were looking for turtles, but we never found any.  We did see some cool fish, but only a few.  It started raining and the kids were complaining so we decided to pack up.  The rain only lasted for about 5 minutes and instead of heading back we decided to stop at Kealia Beach and do some body boarding.  The waves there are pretty good.  The kids weren't having much fun in the water so they were playing in the sand while Marisa and I were enjoying the water.

Suddenly I felt a painful sensation on my leg.  I turned to Marisa and said that I thought I just got stung by a jellyfish.  I made my way out of the water and sat on the sand next to the kids for a little while. I think one of the tentacles of the jellyfish wrapped around my leg.  Marisa came in a few minutes later to check on my leg and also to check her foot because she hit her toe hard on a rock and the toenail broke and she was in pain too.  We told the kids that it was time to go because both the grown ups were injured.  On our drive back we decided that we were going to start calling it Danger Beach.  The term has stuck for us.

When we got back I took some pictures of my leg, but they do not do justice to what it really looked like.  I wish the pictures showed it better the top one is the front of my leg and the bottom one is the back.



I have since looked online at pictures of jellyfish stings and mine was very small compared to some, but it was still pretty painful!!

I still have the line around my leg, but it does not hurt at all anymore.  It stopped hurting after a few hours and some pain medicine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment